Hospitals often see patients who are at their most vulnerable, and their operating rooms should be free of invasive mold that can harm patients. We trust that our hospitals are going to make us healthy, not make us sick. Aspergillus is a type of mold that most people are exposed to everyday. It can be found on dead leaves, compost piles, vegetable matter, grain, and foods. In those with weakened immune systems, this mold can be dangerous. Symptoms caused by aspergillus can be anything from fever and chest pain, to kidney or liver failure. For those who are already hospitalized, especially children, exposure to aspergillus can be deadly.